How to cook Rava Upma:
Upma is a very common breakfast recipe in south India made with rava cooked as a thick porridge which is slightly spicy, tasty and very easy to prepare. There are many varieties of upma like wheat rava, sooji rava, rice rava and semiya.
Here I am sharing the wheat rava upma recipe.
Rava Upma Recipe
- 2 cups Wheat Rava
- 1/2 cup Onion (Sliced)
- 2 Green chilli (chopped to thin rounds)
- 1/2 tbsp Ginger (finely chopped)
- 1/2 tbsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2 tbsp Urad dal
- 1 tbsp Channa dal
- 1 tbsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 5 cups Water
- Dry roast wheat rava for 2-3 mins. Keep stirring to avoid burning of rava.
- Heat oil in a vessel.
- Add mustard seeds, urad dal and channa dal.
- When the dal is slightly turning brown, add ginger.
- Ginger is nicely fried, add onions and green chillies and fry for 1-2mins.
- Add salt and fry till onions are translucent.
- Add water and bring it to bowl. Adjust salt as per your taste.
- When water is boiling, add wheat rava slowly and stir continuously to avoid lumps. Rava begins to splash. Now place the lid and cook rava for 5mins on low flame.
- Switch off the flame and keep it covered for few more minutes.
- Wheat rava upma is ready. Serve hot. It goes well with chutney, tomato pickle, mango thokku or peanut powder.