Menthi Kura Pappu Recipe
What is Menthi Kura
Menthi Kura is known as Fenugreek Leaves in English, Methi Ke Patte in Hindi, Venthiya Keera in Tamil, Menthya Soppu in Malayam, and Methi Saag in Bengali. The word “fenugreek” has its origin in the Latin language, and refers to ‘Greek hay’ and was historically used as food for animals.
It grows predominantly in North Africa and India regions. Both Fenugreek leaves and Fenugreek seeds are used in cooking because of nutritional benefits they have to offer. The fenugreek herb is basically in the form of seeds and works as an effective nutritional supplement. Due to the numerous health benefits provided by this herb, they’ve been used by herb lovers for ages.
Following are top 5 health benefits of Menthi Kura
- Reduce Bowel problem
- Improve Cholesterol
- Reduce Sugar levels for Diabetics
- Improves Heart health
- Improves & Nourishes Skin and Hair
Now that we know the benefits of menthi kura, lets see how to make use this healthy herb. Menthi kura pappu is a very common and easily prepared Andhra recipe where menthi (fenugreek leaves) are combined with toor dal pressure to cook soft and temper with mustard, cumin seeds, garlic cloves and curry leaves which gives a very nice flavor to the dal. Today I am sharing you the menthi kura pappu recipe with step by step instructions along with photos. You can also try other dal recipes shared below
Menthi Kura Pappu
- 1 cup Toor Dal
- 1 1/2 cup Chopped Menthi Kura
- 1 Green Chili (vertically sliced)
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- Salt as per your taste
- 1 tsp Mustard
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1 or 2 cloves Garlic
- 1 sprig Curry Leaves
- 1 pinch Asafoetida
- 1 tbsp Oil
- Wash dal and add to pressure cooker. Also add green chilli, tamarind.
- Add 2 cups of water and turmeric to the dal.
- Pluck menthi leaves, rinse with lot of water and drain. Add to the dal, place lid and cook for 2-3 whistles.
- When pressure goes off, remove the lid. Dal should be nicely cooked without any water. If you have little water cook dal on a high flame for 2-3 minutes.
- Add salt as per your taste and mash dal with back of a ladle.
- Add a tbsp of oil to a frying pan, add mustard, cumin when splutters, add minced garlic, curry leaves and asafoetida. When fried, switch off the flame.
- Add the seasoning to the dal, mix well and cook for 1-2 minutes on a low flame.
- Tasty Menthi kura pappu is ready. Serve hot with white rice or chapati.
Leave a Reply