Senagapappu Saggubhiyam Payasam
Senagapappu Saggubhiyam Payasam is an Indian sweet recipe where the chana dal and saggubhiyam are cooked with milk and jaggery and topped up with fried dry fruits. Its a simple and tasty, rich in protein of course high calorie recipe but its very healthy for growing kids. If you are a sweet lover, then it is enjoyed as a snack or a dessert after dinner. Today I am sharing you the simple and easily prepared sweet recipe with step by step instructions along with photos.
Senagapappu saggubhiyam payasam
- 1 cup Chana Dal
- 1/2 cup Saggubhiyam
- 3/4 cup Jaggery
- 1 cup Milk
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- 3 tbsp Dry Fruits (Optional)
- 1 tsp Cardamom Powder
- Wash chana dal and take them in a cooker.
- Add saggubhiyam to the dal.
- Add 2 cups of water or to the level of dal and pressure cook for 2 whistles. Do not add more water as dal should not be overcooked or become mushy.
- Meanwhile, take jaggery in a vessel and add little water. Heat the jaggery on a medium flame and when the jaggery melts completely, filter it. Boil the jaggery syrup till it becomes slightly thick and keep aside to cool it completely.
- When the pressure goes off, remove the lid. The dal should be half cooked and should not be mushy.
- Add milk to the cooked dal and mix well.
- Add cardamom powder and cook for 3-4 mins.
- When the jaggery syrup is cooled completely, add it to the dal. Do not add the hot jaggery syrup as it may curdle the payasam.
- Mix well and cook the payasam for few more minutes. Keep stirring now and then to avoid burning.
- Add a tbsp of ghee to the payasam and cook for a minute.
- Finally fry the dry fruits in the ghee and add it to the payasam.
- Payasam is ready to serve. Serve hot or cold.