Spinach dal is a very simple dish. Dal is one of the primary staple foods for many Indians. Making dal is very easy and does not need any exotic ingredients or masalas. It is as simple as cooking dal and tempering dal. Based on various ingredients included while cooking dal, you can experience various flavors. Spinach dal is made by cooking chopped spinach with cooked toor dal.
Even though people crave for biryanis or pizzas or pastas etc.. you can’t have any of these every day. Contrary to this, I keep coming back to this dal whenever I want miss Indian food.
Try Spinach dal with hot rice or roti’s and let us know how it turned out for you.
Spinach dal or Palakura Pappu
- 1 cup Toor Dal
- 1 cup Spinach (chopped)
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- Tamarind (half lemon size)
- 1 Green chili (vertically slit)
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tbsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 2 Dried Red Chilies
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 pinch Hing
- 2 pods Garlic
How to cook Dal
- Take dal in the pressure cooker.
- Wash dal and add turmeric, green chili, chili powder and tamarind to the pressure cooker. If you like you can also add tomato which adds a very nice flavor to the dal.
- Add two cups of water to the cooker and keep aside.
- Wash and chop the spinach and add it to the cooker.
- Place the lid and cook for 3 whistles. When pressure goes off, remove the lid.
- Add salt and mash the dal to smooth.
- Take a frying pan, add tbsp oil.
- Add mustard and cumin seeds when splutters, add red chilies, and a pinch of hing. Here I haven't used garlic, you can add crushed garlic along with red chilies.
- Add the above tempered seeds to the dal and mix well.
- Spinach dal or palakura pappu is ready to serve. Serve hot with rice or chapati.