Vangi Bhath Recipe – How to cook Easy Vangi Bhath
Vangi bhath (brinjal rice) is an authentic & popular rice recipe from Karnataka. This easy recipe involves cooking brinjal/egg pant with spices and rice. Even though you can get ready made Vangi Bhath spice powders, preparing the required spices at home is very easy. Preparing the spices at home also gives a nice fresh aroma to the dish. Do prepare this easy Vangi bhath at home and let me know how it turned out.
Serving Size: 4 – 5persons; Prep. Time: 5 minutes; Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- Basmati Rice / White Rice – 3 cups(400 grams)
- Onions – 1
- Green Chillies – 1
- Green Peas – 1 cup
- Turmeric – 1/2 tbs
- Cloves – 5
- Cinnamon Stick – small
- Bay Leaf – 1
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tbs
- Cardamom – 2
- Red Chillies – 5 to 6
- Coriander Seeds – 2tbs
- Channa Dal – 1 tbs
- Urad Dal – 1 tbs
- Fenugreek seeds – 1/4 tbs
- Salt – as per taste
- Lemon – 1
- Oil – 4 tbs
Vangi bhath Powder Preparation:
- Add Cinnamon stick, Cloves, Coriander seeds , red chillies, Channa dal, Urad dal and fenugreek seeds to a frying pan and dry roast.
- Cool it and add to a blender and make a fine powder.
If you want you can use the ready made Vangi bhath powder which is available in most of the super markets.
Vangi bhath / Brinjal (Egg Plant) rice Preparation:
- Wash and cook the rice normally and cool rice completely.
- Chop the onion, brinjal to thin slices and slit green chili.
- Add oil to the frying pan. When the oil is heated, add Bay leaf, Cardamom and Cumin seeds. Saute the spices till they sizzle.
- Add chopped onions and green chili. Fry till they turn golden.
- Add fresh or frozen green peas, chopped brinjal, salt and turmeric.Mix well.
- Cover the pan with lid and cook until the brinjal / egg plant are soft cooked.
- Add vangi bath powder and fry till it smells good. Add 1-2 tbs of water if the mixture is too dry.
- Now add the prepared vangi bath mixture to the rice and add lemon juice and mix well.
- Garnish with Cilantro and serve vangi bhath hot or cold.
Leave a Reply