Idly is a very simple and popular south Indian breakfast recipe available every where taking from road side stalls to five star hotels. This recipe is very easy to prepare and is very healthy and recommended by most of the doctors to eat when we are sick.
Idly is prepared where urad dal (black gram) and rava/rice is soaked, grinded to a smooth batter, fermented and steamed. This recipe is served hot with peanut chutney or sambar.
Learn how to make soft Idly with step by step instructions along with photos. Also refer the below links for Peanut chutney and sambar.
- 1 cup Urad dal or black gram
- 2 cups Idly Rava
- 2-3 tbsp Salt or as per your taste
How to prepare Idly Batter
- Rinse and soak urad dal for 6hrs.
- Soak idly rava for 6 hrs.
- Take dal in a blender or add full dal to the wet grinder and blend it smoothly by adding little by little water when ever it required.
- Transfer the batter to the large vessel and add salt.
- Drain off the water and also squeeze the excess water from the rava with hands and keep aside. Make sure that there is no water in the rava.
- Add idly rava to the urad dal batter.
- Mix the rava and urad dal batter nicely.
- Keep the batter in a warm place and let it rest for 6-8 hrs or until it ferments well without becoming sour. If you are living in a cool place, place the batter in the oven and turn on the light.
- A well fermented batter rises well and looks fluffy.
How to prepare soft idly
- Grease the Idly plates with ghee or oil.
- Gently mix the batter and take a half a ladle of batter and pour it in the idly moulds.
- Add 1 cup water to a vessel. Here I am using rice cooker to prepare idly. If you are using pressure cooker, remove the whistle.
- Place the idly plates in the vessel and steam it for 8mins in rice cooker or 10-12 mins in pressure cooker or vessel.
- Remove the idly plates from the vessel and let it cool for a minute or two.
- Using spatula remove the idly from the plates and serve hot with ghee and peanut chutney or sambar.