How to make Soft Gulab Jamun with Instant Mix
Gulab Jamun is a very popular Indian sweet. This sweet dish is prepared for many festivals, get together, parties and marriages too.
Gulab Jamun is traditionally made with homemade kova or Khoya. But whenever I am short of time, I rely on the Instant mix (milk powder). Knead Instant mix into a soft dough, make small balls and fry the balls in oil, finally soak the fried balls in sugar syrup. This sweet can be served either hot or cold. I sometimes also garnish gulab jamun’s with some dry fruits which will give these sweet shop/halwai look.
How to mix the dough:
- Take one cup of instant mix in a mixing bowl.
- Take 1/4 cup of water, add little by little water and mix to make a soft dough. Do not overmix the dough.
How to prepare sugar syrup:
- Take a large vessel and add 2 cups of sugar.
- Add 3 cups of water and boil it 10-12 mins to make it slightly thick.
- Add 1/2 tsp of cardamom powder, mix well, and turn off the flame.
How to prepare jamun balls:
- Apply ghee to your palms, take a little portion of the dough and roll it to a ball just like the size of a marble and keep aside.
- Repeat the above step for the remaining dough.
- Meanwhile, heat ghee or oil in a deep frying pan or kadai.
- When the oil is hot enough, reduce the flame to medium and drop the balls one by one.
- Gently stir the balls and fry them until they turn golden evenly on all the sides.
- Drain the balls in a strainer and immediately transfer them into the hot sugar syrup.
- Soak them for 10-15 mins or until they are nicely soaked.
- Gulab Jamun is ready to eat. Serve hot or cold.
My 2 year old daughter is a big fan of Gulab Jamun. These Jamun are so soft that my daughter can easily gobble down whole Jamun. I personally love eating jamun with vanilla ice-cream.
Learn how to prepare this delicious sweet recipe with step by step instructions along with photos.
Please don’t forget to try these other popular Indian sweets
- Tapeswaram Kaja | Madatha Kaja
- Boorelu Recipe | How to make Boorelu in easy steps
- Chikki | Peanut Bar | Groundnut Bar
- Pala Kova Recipe | How to prepare milk cake at home
- Bobbatlu Recipe | Puran Poli Recipe
- 1 cup Jamun instant mix
- 2 cups Sugar
- 31/4 cups Water
- 1 tsp Cardamom powder
- Ghee / Oil to deep fry
How to mix Dough
- Take the jamun mix in a mixing bowl, add little by little water and mix to make a soft dough. Do not over mix as the jamun becomes chewy. Cover it with a cotton cloth and keep it aside for 5mins.
How to prepare Sugar Syrup
- In a large vessel, add sugar and water and boil it for 10mins.
- Add a tsp of cardamom powder and boil it till it becomes slightly sticky.
How to prepare Jamun Balls
- Apply little ghee to your palms and take a small quantity of the dough.
- Make a marble size ball and keep aside. Make sure the balls are smooth with out any cracks otherwise the jamuns will get more cracks.
- Repeat the above step to make all balls.
- Meanwhile, heat ghee or oil in a deep frying pan. When the oil is heat enough, reduce the flame to medium and drop one by one jamun balls.
- Gently stir the jamun balls and fry until golden brown evenly on all sides.
- When the jamun balls turn golden, drain the balls with a strainer and add them directly to the sugar syrup.
- Soak the gulab jamun's for 15-20 mins or until jamun soak well in the syrup.
- Delicious gulab jamun is ready. Serve hot or cold.
Leave a Reply