Aloo paratha recipe. Learn how to make aloo paratha in simple and easy to understand steps with photos. Paratha is a popular Indian flatbread recipe with its origin in northern India. There are many variations to Paratha’s ranging from plain Paratha to parathas with a variety of stuffings. Today we are going to make Aloo Paratha with simple, easy to follow steps along with photo instructions.
As you might have already guessed, Aloo Paratha involves in stuffing cooked potatoes before rolling out the bread.
Aloo paratha makes a hearty meal and is popularly paired with Yogurt/Curd and Lemon Pickle. My daughter loves parathas and aloo paratha is one of her favorites.
Aloo Paratha Recipe | How to make Aloo Paratha in easy steps
- 3 Potatoes
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric
- 1/2 tsp Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
- 1/2 tbsp Chopped Chilies
- 1/2 tbsp Chopped Coriander Leaves
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 cup Water
- 3-4 tbsp Ghee (for frying)
How to Prepare Stuffing
- Wash and boil the potatoes. Here I have steamed the potatoes for 5mins in a rice cooker.
- Peel the skin and keep aside.
- Mash the potatoes without any lumps.
- Add turmeric, chili powder, garam masala, chopped coriander leaves, chopped green chilies, and salt.
- Mix all the ingredients very well.
- Take a small portion of the potato and make small lemon size balls.
How to Prepare Dough
- Take a cup of whole wheat flour and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Add water little by little and knead the dough.
- Make a soft dough and keep it aside for 10-15mins.
How to prepare paratha
- Now take a big lemon size dough.
- Dust the dough with wheat flour and roll it circularly for about 5inches diameter by using a rolling pin.
- Now place the earlier prepared potato ball at the middle.
- Start covering the potato ball with the dough by combining all the edges.
- Stick all the edges and remove the excess dough. Carefully stick all the edges else there are chances of spilling out the stuff while rolling.
- Nicely make the dough to round and dust it with wheat flour.
- Start rolling the dough circularly, first with the hand to some extent to evenly spread the aloo stuffing.
- Now start rolling with the pin and make the paratha. If necessary, dust the flour now and then to avoid sticking off the dough.
- When the pan is sizzling hot, place the prepared paratha.
- After a minute paratha starts to puff up slightly.
- Apply ghee on the paratha.
- Flip the paratha and apply little more ghee on the other side.
- Fry the paratha on both sides till golden brown.
- Aloo paratha is ready. Serve hot with butter, mixed veg pickle or lemon pickle or Curd.