Capsicum (bell pepper) masala is a very delicious, Indian spicy gravy recipe where the capsicum is sautéed with onions, roasted peanuts, sesame seeds, and coconut powder. A perfect blend of roasted peanuts, sesame seeds, and coconut gives a very nice flavor to the curry. It goes well with rice or chapati or any pulao. Today I am sharing you this recipe with simple instructions along with step by step photos.
How to prepare masala for this recipe:
- Dry roast peanuts and keep aside.
- Now add a tbsp of coriander seeds and slightly roast them. Add sesame seeds and desiccated coconut powder and roast them until a nice aroma comes up.
- After cooling them completely, add them to a blender and blend them to a fine powder.
How to make capsicum masala recipe:
- In a deep vessel or kadai, add oil.
- Add cumin seeds, when splutter, add minced garlic.
- Add finely chopped onions and fry them until they are translucent.
- Now add capsicum, sprinkle some salt and saute them for a while.
- Add turmeric, chili powder, and the prepared masala. Mix them and fry for 3-4 minutes.
- Check the taste and adjust salt as per your taste.
- Add 1 cup of water and cook them until the gravy becomes thick.
Capsicum (bell pepper) masala is a very delicious, Indian spicy gravy recipe where the capsicum is sautéed with onions, roasted peanuts, sesame seeds, and coconut powder.
- 3 Capsicum (Cubed)
- 1 Onion (finely Chopped)
- 1/4 cup Peanuts
- 2 tbsp Coriander Seeds
- 1 tbsp Sesame Seeds
- 2 tbsp Coconut Powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1/2 tbsp Chilli Powder
- 2 pods Garlic (Minced)
- 1 tbsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Oil
- Add peanuts to a frying pan, dry roast them, and set aside.
- In the same pan, add coriander seeds roast for 1min then add sesame seeds and coconut powder and fry until a nice aroma comes up. Do not burn the coconut.
- When the roasted ingredients are cooled completely, add them to the blender and pulse them to a fine powder.
- Heat oil in a deep vessel or kadai, add cumin seeds and minced garlic sauté them.
- Add chopped onions and fry till onions are translucent.
- Add capsicum and sauté for a while.
- Sprinkle salt and cook capsicum till it is cooked but still crispy.
- Add turmeric and chili powder, mix well and cook for a minute or two.
- Now add the powder blended earlier and a little salt.
- Mix well and fry for 2 more minutes.
- Add 1cup water and boil it for few more minutes till the gravy becomes thick. Adjust salt as per your taste.
- Capsicum masala is ready. Serve hot with chapati or roti or rice.
Tried this recipe?Mention @chakriskitchen or tag #chakriskitchen!
Recipe looks great but doesn’t state how many people this serves!
Also capsicums and onions come in varying sizes so it would have been much better if the Quantity of Capsicums and Onions was mentioned in Grams!!
Let’s hope the author responds to this and clarifies.
Have a great 21!
Thank you Jim for your feedback. We have used approx. Two hundred Grams of medium capsicum and one hundred Grams of Onion for this recipe and this serves 4-5 people.