Capsicum (bell pepper) masala is a very delicious, Indian spicy gravy recipe where the capsicum is sautéed with onions, roasted peanuts, sesame seeds, and coconut powder. A perfect blend of roasted peanuts, sesame seeds, and coconut gives a very nice flavor to the curry. It goes well with rice or chapati or any pulao. Today I am sharing you this recipe with simple instructions along with step by step photos.
How to prepare masala for this recipe:
- Dry roast peanuts and keep aside.
- Now add a tbsp of coriander seeds and slightly roast them. Add sesame seeds and desiccated coconut powder and roast them until a nice aroma comes up.
- After cooling them completely, add them to a blender and blend them to a fine powder.
How to make capsicum masala recipe:
- In a deep vessel or kadai, add oil.
- Add cumin seeds, when splutter, add minced garlic.
- Add finely chopped onions and fry them until they are translucent.
- Now add capsicum, sprinkle some salt and saute them for a while.
- Add turmeric, chili powder, and the prepared masala. Mix them and fry for 3-4 minutes.
- Check the taste and adjust salt as per your taste.
- Add 1 cup of water and cook them until the gravy becomes thick.
- 3 Capsicum (Cubed)
- 1 Onion (finely Chopped)
- 1/4 cup Peanuts
- 2 tbsp Coriander Seeds
- 1 tbsp Sesame Seeds
- 2 tbsp Coconut Powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1/2 tbsp Chilli Powder
- 2 pods Garlic (Minced)
- 1 tbsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Oil
- Add peanuts to a frying pan, dry roast them, and set aside.
- In the same pan, add coriander seeds roast for 1min then add sesame seeds and coconut powder and fry until a nice aroma comes up. Do not burn the coconut.
- When the roasted ingredients are cooled completely, add them to the blender and pulse them to a fine powder.
- Heat oil in a deep vessel or kadai, add cumin seeds and minced garlic sauté them.
- Add chopped onions and fry till onions are translucent.
- Add capsicum and sauté for a while.
- Sprinkle salt and cook capsicum till it is cooked but still crispy.
- Add turmeric and chili powder, mix well and cook for a minute or two.
- Now add the powder blended earlier and a little salt.
- Mix well and fry for 2 more minutes.
- Add 1cup water and boil it for few more minutes till the gravy becomes thick. Adjust salt as per your taste.
- Capsicum masala is ready. Serve hot with chapati or roti or rice.