Semiya Upma is a south Indian breakfast recipe made with semiya or semolina or vermicelli. Today I am sharing tasty and easily prepared semiya upma with step by step instructions along with photos.
Please dont forget to try out our Upma recipe
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 3 people
- 2 cups Semiya
- 1 Onion
- 2 Green Chilli
- 1/4 cup Chasew Nuts
- 2 inch Cinnamon Stick
- 2 or 3 Cloves
- 1/2 tbsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 tbsp Urad Dal
- 1 tbsp Chana Dal
- 1 tbsp Salt
- 1 or 2 tbsp Oil
- Finely slice the onion and slit the green chillies.
- Heat oil in a vessel.
- Add cinnamon stick and cloves fry till nice aroma comes.
- Add mustard seeds, when they splutters add urad dal and chana dal.
- When the urad dal is turning slightly golden, add cashew nuts and fry till golden.
- Add onions and green chillies.
- Fry till the onions are translucent.
- Add 2 1/2 cups of water, salt and mix well. Adjust the salt as per your taste.
- Close the lid and bring the water to boiling point.
- Add semiya and keep on stirring to avoid lumps. If you like you can dry roast the semiya before adding it to the water.
- Cook on a medium flame till semiya is completed cooked.
- Serve semiya upma hot. It goes well with pickle.