Kheer is a popular Indian sweet made with milk, sugar and semolina/rice. Moon dal kheer (Pessarapappu Payasam) is variation made with moong dal instead of semolina/rice. Moong dal gives smooth and creamy texture to this yummy sweet treat.
Moong Dal Payasam
- 2 cups Moong dal
- 1 cup Full Cream Milk
- 1 1/2 or 2 cups Grated Jaggery
- 2 Cardamom or Elachi
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- Dry fruits as desired
- Take a pot, add jaggery and little water and stir on low flame till jaggery melts. Filter the jaggery syrup and let it cool.
Moong dal Payasam
- Wash the moong dal and make it dry. Roast the moong dal till you get the nice aroma.
- Take a pressure cooker, add moong dal and add 1 cup of water and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Add milk to the moong dal to the consistency and cook on a low flame.
- Add elachi or cardamom powder and mix well.
- Add jaggery syrup to the moong dal and mix well. If we add hot jaggery syrup, most of the times milk will curdle. So cool the jaggery syrup before adding.
- Add ghee to the frying pan, upon heated fry the dry fruits.
- Add the dry fruits to the moong dal payasam.