Andhra Fish Fry is a simple, easy to make, spicy and delicious recipe. Unlike other non-vegetarian meats, fish do not need to be marinated for a long time and can also be cooked in a relatively short time.
There are many variations in fish fry like deep-fried, breaded fish fillet, etc., but personally, I love this recipe. This is because my mom makes the best Andhra Fish fry :). I am sharing my mom’s recipe here and I am hoping you like it too.
This recipe primary involves preparing
- a marinade mixture by mixing ginger garlic, chili powder, salt, turmeric.
- Thoroughly washing and cutting fish into desired sized pieces.
- Generously coating the marinade on all sides of the fish pieces
- finally frying the thoroughly coated fish on a hot Tawa or skillet with oil
This fish fry goes very well as a side dish with rice and dal
Today I am sharing you Andhra style Chepala vepudu which I have learned from my mom with instructions along with photos.
If you are a fan of seafood like me, don’t forget to check out my other seafood recipes
- Chepala Iguru Recipe | Fish Curry Recipe
- Prawn Manchurian Recipe | Shrimp Manchurian Recipe
- Garlic Prawns Recipe | How to easily cook Garlic Prawns
Q. Can I use frozen fish?
For best tasting Fish Fry, don’t use frozen fish. Fish loses all the goodness, juicy tenderness and flavor once frozen.
Q. Can I use tilapia for the fish fry?
In this post, I have used Salmon fillets but tilapia or any freshwater fish can also be used and will taste equally yummy 🙂
Q. Can I use butter of ghee fish fry?
Yes. you can use Butter or Ghee. Frying fish in butter or ghee will add additional flavor.
- 2 pieces Fish
- 1 tsp Ginger Garlic paste
- 1 tsp Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice (optional)
- Firstly clean and wash the fish pieces. If required, add little rock salt and curd to the fish pieces and wash.
- Take ginger garlic paste, chilli powder, turmeric and salt in a vessel. Mix well and coat the masala over the fish pieces and set aside for 5-10mins.
- After 10mins, place the vessel over the stove and cook the fish for 3-4 mins by covering the vessel with a lid.
- After a minute or two, flip over the fish pieces and let it cook for a minute or more and switch off the flame.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a frying pan. Here I am frying fish with less oil, if you want to deep fry then add more oil.
- When the oil is hot enough, place the fish pieces and frying them on a medium flame for 3-4 mins.
- After 3mins, flip the fish pieces and fry till golden brown on both sides.
- Fish fry is ready to serve. Transfer the fish piece to a serving plate and add lemon juice before serving.