Chikki or peanut bar is a simple Indian sweet made with fried peanuts and jaggery. Chikki is so popular in India that it can be found in every store right from a small mom & pop grocery store to high end supermarkets. Please try my recipe and let me know how it turned out
Chikki | Peanut Bar | Groundnut Bar
- 2 cups Peanuts or Palli
- 1 1/2 cup Jaggery
- 2 tbsp Water
- 1 tsp Ghee(optional)
- Dry roast peanuts or palli. Toss now and then to roast the peanuts uniformly. When peanuts starts splutter. If skin separates easily then switch off the flame and cool it.
- When peanuts are cooled, remove the skin and keep aside.
- Take jaggery in a large vessel or kadai.
- Add two spoons of water and heat it.
- Keep on stirring so that the jaggery starts melting and boils.
- Boil the jaggery syrup on low flame for few more minutes so that the syrup turns dark and thick.
- To check whether the jaggery syrup is perfect for preparing chikki, drop few drops of syrup into a bowl of water. The syrup should not mix in the water.
- If we take the syrup in our hand then we should be able to make a ball and switch off the flame. If not boil the syrup for few more minutes.
- Now add the peanuts, ghee(optional) and mix well so that the jaggery coats well on all the peanuts nuts. Adding ghee gives a very good flavour to the chikki.
- Meanwhile grease a plate with ghee and pour the peanut mixture immediately and spread it evenly with the help of a cup or roller pin.
- Wait for 2-3 minutes and cut it into pieces when it is still warm. Cool it completely and serve.
Tried this recipe?Mention @chakriskitchen or tag #chakriskitchen!
Leave a Reply