Perugu Garelu recipe with step by step pics. Perugu Garelu is a traditional south Indian recipe where garelu or medu vada is soaked in the curd. In this post, I am sharing the recipe in simple and easy to understand/follow steps with which you can easily make this in your home.
Did you know:
Perugu Garelu (Telugu) is also known as thayir vadai in Tamil, thairu vada in Malayalam, mosaru vade in Kannada. Even though Perugu Garelu translates to Dahi Vada in hindi and both Perugu Garelu/Dahi Vada involve serving Vada soaked in Curd, Perugu garelu is served spicy compared to Dahi vada which is served sweet by mixing sweet chutney
How to cook Perugu Garelu
For Medu Vada
- 1/2 cup Urad Dal
- 1 tsp Salt
- Oil for deep frying
For Curd Mixture
- 1/2 curd Curd
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Musturd Seeds
- 1 tsp Urad Dal
- 1 Green Chili (slit)
- 2-3 Curry Leaves
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Oil
How to prepare Medu Vada Recipe
- Soak urad dal for 2-3 hrs.
- Grind the dal in a blender by adding very little water to make a smooth and thick mixture. Add 1 tsp salt and mix well and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan or kadai.
- To make vada, dip your hand in the water, take a small lemon size urad dal mixture. Slightly make round and spread a little bit with thumb and make a hole at the center. You can also use thick plastic cover or banana leaf.
- When the oil is heat enough, slowly slip the vada into the oil.
- Repeat step 4 to make all the vada's.
- On a medium flame, fry the vada till golden color on both sides.
How to prepare curd mixture.
- Heat oil in a flat vessel.
- Add mustard seeds, when splutters add urad dal, curry leaves, and green chilies. When nicely fried, switch off the flame.
- Add 1/2 cup of curd.
- Also, add turmeric and salt and mix well.
- Mix all the ingredients thoroughly and keep aside.
How to prepare curd vada or Perugu garelu
- Put the fried vada in the prepared curd mixture.
- Fully cover the vada with the curd mixture and allow the vada to absorb the curd completely.
- Curd vada or perugu garelu is ready. Serve immediately or can refrigerate and serve cold.