Dosa is a very common and regularly prepared breakfast recipe in South India. There are many varieties of dosa. The base is the same but different toppings and stuffing brings different flavor & texture. The taste of the dosa is completely depends on the fermentation of the batter. Today I am sharing plain dosa recipe with instructions and along with photos.
- 1 cup Urad Dal
- 3 cups Rice (sona masuri / boiled )
- 1 tsp Fenugreek Seeds
- 2 tbsp Salt
- Oil to fry
- Wash, add enough water and soak 1 cup urad dal, 3 cups rice and 1 tsp fenugreek seeds in a bowl for 5-6hrs or overnight.
- Drain off the water and add the little portion of urad dal and rice to the blender and blend. Add little water and make the smooth batter.
- Transfer the batter to the large vessel and keep aside.
- Also blend the remaining dal and rice to a smooth batter.
- Add 2 tbsp of salt to the batter and mix well. Cover with the lid and rest the batter to ferment for 8-10 hrs.
- You can see the batter is nicely fermented. Mix the batter well.
- Heat the pan and when the pan is hot enough, pour a ladleful of batter. Spread the batter circularly to make a thin dosa.
- Spray a little oil over the dosa and fry till it turns slightly golden.
- Fold over the dosa, transfer to a plate and serve hot with any chutney.